Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Graphical_Applications_as_Flatpaks
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx>

This change is leaving several questions unanswered:

* As I understand it, those Flatpaks are going to be built from RPMs. Is the
intent to ship both the original RPMs and the Flatpak or only the Flatpak
(or is this going to depend on the individual package)? And if the former,
are the shipped RPMs going to be the FHS-compliant version or the one
relocated into Flatpak's proprietary prefix?

* What is the advantage of shipping Fedora distribution packages to Fedora
users as Flatpaks? I see only drawbacks compared to RPM, because everything
not included in the base runtime must be bundled, so we have all the usual
issues of bundled libraries: larger downloads, more disk consumption, more
RAM consumption (shared system libraries are also shared in RAM), slower and
less efficient delivery of security fixes, FHS noncompliance, etc. And the
portability argument is moot when we are talking about delivering Fedora
software to Fedora users.

I strongly oppose this change.

        Kevin Kofler