Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And I would pick a Copr over a Flatpak any day. I used and use several Copr repositories, they are much nicer than some unpackaged blob. And getting rid
of them later is fairly easy.

Although you have some valid concerns about Flatpak, I think it's a big mistake to promote Copr. Copr has worked out well enough for us so far only because we use it on a very small scale. If there were many popular Copr repos, they would quickly conflict with each other and it would become a nightmare to use them. And conflicts will horribly break users' systems. This isn't a theoretical problem, we know it's what will happen because openSUSE already has many popular Coprs, they just call it something different (OBS). Users bork their machines all the time by enabling conflicting repos to install different packages. It's a big problem.

Coprs are fine and safe so long as they are just carrying new versions of applications and not replacing any system packages. In fact, we have policy in Fedora Workstation that Coprs that follow these rules can even be enabled by default, out-of-the-box. (We already have one or two, though I don't remember what they are and it only works if you use GNOME Software.) But frequently, the only way to ship a new version of an application in a Copr is to also upgrade its dependencies, and there you're getting into extremely dangerous territory. We can't have that. Flatpak solves this problem.

Michael

P.S. On a completely unrelated note... and just brainstorming... so long as our Flatpaks are built from RPMs, there's probably no great technical reason to get rid of the RPMs, even if Flatpak becomes the primary/default distribution mechanism. We mainly just need a way to avoid confusion when reporting bugs, since the RPM and Flatpak versions of applications could have different bugs.