Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Tuesday, 18 July 2017 at 00:02, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:38 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > The problem is that the RPMs that go into the Flatpaks are not FHS-
> > compliant, so the RPMs will have to carry some conditionals and be built
> > twice.
>
> Yes, that is true. Some apps will have to be patched for Flatpak, and
> building them as both RPMs and Flatpaks is going to require conditionals. So
> there will be some overhead if we support both.

I think this is unacceptable and a blocker. It didn't work with SCLs and
it won't work with Flatpak, either. Flatpaks must be possible to build
from unmodified RPMs or as part of RPM build process.

> I think that's probably worthwhile. The way I see it, we have a large number
> of users who prefer an entirely RPM-based system, although most users would
> be better off with an Atomic system and just layering a few RPMs on top.

Could you explain the benefits of Atomic system + few layered RPMs vs. a
traditional Fedora installation?

> I suspect we can satisfy both groups of users while doing only a minimal
> amount of work. Making patches conditional is not so hard.

By the way, I can't figure out how to look inside a Flatpak and review its
contents. Could someone provide some pointers? With plain RPMs or yum repos
I can just download the binary RPM and extract it (rpm2cpio foo.rpm|cpio
-div). I can also examine metadata using rpm -qp -i -R --provides and so on.
What is the equivalent for Flatpak?

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org