Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:38 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is that the RPMs that go into the Flatpaks are not FHS-
compliant, so the RPMs will have to carry some conditionals and be built
twice.

Yes, that is true. Some apps will have to be patched for Flatpak, and building them as both RPMs and Flatpaks is going to require conditionals. So there will be some overhead if we support both.

I think that's probably worthwhile. The way I see it, we have a large number of users who prefer an entirely RPM-based system, although most users would be better off with an Atomic system and just layering a few RPMs on top. I suspect we can satisfy both groups of users while doing only a minimal amount of work. Making patches conditional is not so hard.

Michael