Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > On a more general note I think a lot of people are assuming we're all
> > horrible evil people, trying to subvert the One True Fedora Way. This
> > is exceptionally poisonous and needs to stop, otherwise Fedora should
> > to drop both the "Friends", "Features" and the "First" in its motto.
>
> I'm not necessarily concerned about subverting (or "changing" as I would
> prefer to think of it) the One True Fedora Way, if there are good reasons to
> do so and it improves things.
>
> I'm more concerned that there will no longer be One True Fedora Way.
>
> By which I mean that there will no longer be one way to update a Fedora
> system because workstations and servers have to be managed in completely
> different ways.
>
> In other words that it's no longer possible to use clusterssh to run "dnf
> update" on twenty machines at once because each one is now a special
> snowflake that requires it's own approach to updating things - possibly even
> a mix of approaches if a developer's workstation needs "server updates" to
> update postgres and apache and "workstation updates" to update gcc and
> firefox.

Why clusterssh when you can Ansible? But I digress.

This situation already exists, though - each of these systems are already
snowflakes if they're user-maintained:
- some apps installed via RPMs connected to Fedora repos
- some from COPRS
- some from Random RPM Downloaded From Third-Party Website
- some from npm/pip
- containers from arbitrary registries.
- curlsh stuff
- things built from source

If the only answer Fedora has for this is "convince everyone to only build
RPMs using system reo components"... that's fighting a rear-guard battle
that has already been lost.  I don't think supporting Flatpak apps is
necessarily any worse than what already has to happen with all of the above.

Bill