Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 11:31:54 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No one is talking about "ripping RPM out of Fedora".

I'm glad to hear it.  I have a tendency to hyperbole in this noisy
world.

On 07/10/2017 09:31 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:

>  F29: packagers (of graphical applications) must create Flatpaks of
>       their applications if possible. They *may* keep standard RPM
>       packaging.

I interpreted this as such a death knell.  I think if it's not required,
it's on its way out.  It is a short step from there to

F31:  packagers of graphical applications must create Flatpacks of their
      applications, and standard RPM packaging will not be allowed for
      such applications.

That said, flatpaks might turn out to be the greatest thing since
sliced bread, and they certainly have their use cases, as described by
contributors to this thread.  In ten years, maybe everyone will be
using flatpak equivalent technology, and I'll be just another luddite
has been.