Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:10:16 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We could look at starting a new brand. But, I don't think your
> Harley-Davidson analogy applies, because we're not using this to break
> into a new market. We're using this to make sure that we remain
> relevant as the market we are in changes.

Except the whole market isn't changing.  It is just a new niche opening
up.  It's like Gnome3 deciding to convert the desktop interface for
mobile, creating a hybrid that tries to satisfy both, but hits the
sweet spot for neither.  They would have been better off with a new
product targeted at mobiles exclusively, called maybe goblin or pixie,
while retaining their old brand, gnome2, to satisfy existing desktop
users who were happy with the paradigm embodied in that brand.

> Let's take the current shift
> to electric cars as a branding analogy — GM *could* have gone with a
> whole new name, but instead we have the Chevrolet Volt. (And Nissan
> Leaf. And Ford is even reusing the "Focus" name.)
>
> I think this matches our current and upcoming challenge more closely.

I think you are agreeing with him.  GM didn't convert the chevy malibu
to electric.  They created a new brand.  People who want an IC malibu
still can buy one, and know it isn't going to be electric tomorrow,
leaving them high and dry.  And those who want to dip a toe into the
Ecar market, can try it out from a brand they trust.  Just like the
soap analogy.

In my opinion, the equivalent for fedora would be to create a new spin
called gatsby or homburg that uses flatpaks.  Maybe one waxes and one
wanes. Or maybe there is a fork.  But what is being discussed now is
making an all or nothing bet on a new technology.  Once rpm is ripped
out of fedora, it won't be coming back, in practical terms.  There's a
burning the ships sort of appeal in that approach, but it isn't the
most prudent path from an expected value perspective.