Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On 16 July 2017 at 10:10, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 01:29:01PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> umbrella? It may as well come directly from upstream at that point. The
>> whole point of delivering software under the Fedora umbrella is to deliver
>> it as RPMs. If there is no RPM, delivering through Fedora is completely
>> useless.
>
> I strongly dispute the idea that Fedora must be tied to a particular
> packaging technology.

I am going to agree with Kevin on this from clasical brand management
point of view. Fedora Linux sits on a 20+ year lifetime of being an
RPM based Linux Operating System. If you ask people about Fedora both
inside and outside about the community what is Fedora, they are going
to call it an RPM based Linux technology much more likely than they
will think about the Four Foundations or anything else. People have
chosen or rejected Fedora for years over RPM vs Deb or Pacman or
anything else. RPM is part and parcel of what makes Fedora for most
people.

To put this in a similar real life analogy... someone says Harley
Davidson, you think motorcycle with a specific oversized engine.  At
one point they looked at trying to break into some lighter motorcycle
markets and also the car market. The problem was that a) potential
customers could not envision a small Harley or a car Harley and b)
existing customers felt the company was selling out. And when Harley
has made such vehicles, they never get into the market beyond a "here
is our token light motorcycle".

Now it isn't impossible to change images, but it is going to be a long
slow ride. We aren't talking ocean liner or container ship turning
radius. We are talking giant iceberg turning radius because most of
the identity is deep down inside where you can't see it. It is going
to break up the iceberg into various bits and it is going to be messy
and painful. It isn't something that can be done in 2-3 releases
because we aren't talking code, we are talking about deep rooted human
clan identity. [The fact that I am agreeing with Kevin Kofler should
be a signal.]

These sorts of deep brand issues are why most companies start new
brands which might look like they are competing with their primary
one. It can showcase some new identity and get people to see it as
useful or better than what they have already. It can also show where
things aren't going to work at all because people just aren't
interested in something. The Soap industry is a classic study in
brands where most people buy things because of something they tie to
the brand be it a logo, a smell, a look or even just the container it
comes in. Whenever the company changes those things, it causes
significant drop in sales and they are usually going back to what they
had. So instead a soap company will just start a new line with
whatever is different they want to see. No tie in with the original
soap. Sometimes that soap takes over and other times it just sits
there and goes away after 8 months.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>