Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Christian Dersch <lupinix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope we will *never* reach that point, if we reach it, I have to move
> to another Linux distribution which follows the rules of construction I
> prefer. As a packager I know how much many upstreams love bundling (and
> not updating bundled libs), IMHO Flatpak (in general) encourages them to
> do that (yes I know, they can do also for RPM, but Flatpak makes it
> easy). And outdated libraries are a high security risk (heartbleed etc.
> ;)) and sandboxing can never save you from all possible impacts.
> Sandboxing is an *additional* and as said in some other mail
> *orthogonal* mechanism to clean packaging. I feel we lose many
> advantages over operating systems like Windows if we open that door and
> continue that way…

[snip]

> That said, for the optional availability of flatpak for packagers: I'm
> perfectly fine with that, I'll just ignore it for my stuff. But if there
> will be proposals which will change Fedora in a way that I think is
> wrong, I'll be back to discuss them ;) Also I know from IRC that there
> are more packagers thinking the same way.

I'm definitely such a packager, so I figured I'd chime in and add my
voice here. I agree completely.

Six years or so ago, I installed a Linux distribution-- Fedora, as it
happens-- for the first time, and was very quickly sold on the package
management model as a method to distribute software. I became a Fedora
packager because it seemed so self-evident to me that it was a better
way to distribute software than either the Windows model or the
smartphone application store model. These days I primarily use Fedora
and only occasionally boot into Windows, and one of the things that
helped more or less fully convert me to Linux was traditional package
management.

As an end-user, the only way I'd find the flatpakization of Fedora
acceptable is if I could still do "[package manager] install firefox;
firefox [options]" and have it launch Firefox, regardless as to how
Firefox was packaged. (As an aside, I suspect a *lot* of people are
going to complain if this sort of thing doesn't work if/when Firefox
is turned into a flatpak). If so, I might consider continuing to *use*
the distribution. But as a packager, I'm just not convinced the
potential benefits of sandboxing are worth it, and would have to
seriously consider whether I'm still interested in contributing to
Fedora, if this were to happen.

I can't presume to speak for anyone else, but it wouldn't surprise me
to learn that there are other contributors who feel similarly-- who
chose to contribute because they liked traditional package management
and are now uncomfortable at the idea of replacing it.

All that being said:

I don't have any problem with Fedora growing the technology to build
flatpaks and other packaging formats, as it already has for those who
want to distribute and ship them. I think that there's nothing wrong
with Fedora offering up a choice of images composed using technologies
such as Atomic, flatpak, docker, and so on, for people with different
usage cases. And I don't use Fedora Workstation, so if GNOME Software
wants to advertise flatpaks over RPMs, that doesn't particularly
bother me. So I have no issue with this particular change. But I felt
like I should chime in here because this change thread has turned (as
any discussion on flatpak seems to) into a general discussion on the
future of packaging technology, and I've been uneasy for about a year
now about the direction Fedora might go here.

Ben Rosser