Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

Kevin Kofler kirjoitti 16.07.2017 klo 15:10:
Debarshi Ray wrote:
How about reliable online updates of running applications as a
benefit?

Upgrading RPM applications online just works. I do it all the time. The KDE
tools do not even implement offline updates (and IMHO that's a good thing).
I think this is a bit funny because in my experience, especially KDE software tends to get disrupted by upgrading that software while it is running.

Just to check if my experience is still up to date, I made a fresh Fedora 25 KDE installation into a VM, booted it up and logged in. Then in the Plasma desktop session I updated the system through the notification that tells me that there's 900+ updates available. Found these anomalies on the first try:

- Dolphin complains about some crashed process when I open the Network place
- Plasmashell crashed and got automatically restarted mid-upgrade.
- Ksysguard stopped displaying both of its default tabs (it still shows the one that I added for monitoring disk throughput)
- Dolphin crashed after I browsed around in it after completing the upgrade
- In Gwenview, the "open file" chooser fails to show any files. Instead it complains about a crashed backend process.

I would be much happier to use Fedora KDE if its shutdown menu had a similar "reboot to upgrade and shut down" option that Fedora Workstation provides. I still do usually upgrade with dnf, though, because Gnome seems a bit less likely to encounter these issues.

I know that normally I would not do the first upgrade after installation this way, but this was a fairly sure way for me to find something concrete to point at.

The worst that can happen is that some recalcitrant applications (by far the
minority) need to be restarted after updating (or if you upgraded the whole
desktop, then your session may need to be restarted after updating). Until
you do that, the current session may be "hosed" to some extent, but
restarting will fix it. It is surely the lesser evil than forcing a complete
system reboot before the update as GNOME does now. I never had a hosed
system. In most cases, I just run the updates and continue working without
even restarting anything, it just works.
I have been doing that same thing but I really do not like that I kind of do not know what I will get. Usually indeed nothing special happens, but then sometimes I have had

This issue is being deeply blown out of proportion.
You certainly can live with the occasional weirdness that can happen when a you do a traditional dnf update or some other comparable software upgrade operation. But this problem has been there for many years already and it is not just KDE where upgrade-while-in-use is badly supported. Many major applications do not seem likely to start handing this better in foreseeable future. I think it is just good that Fedora is getting some ways to upgrade applications where applications do not get exposed to a situation where their files get replaced mid-flight. Then an user who just follows directions presented by Fedora will not encounter the kind of anomalies that I listed above.

- Joonas