Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On 07/10/2017 09:31 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The rebuilt RPMs are really only interesting within Flatpaks - they
> will be available for download from Koji, but there would be no reason
> for a user to do so.
>
> As for standard application RPMs, it's really going to be something
> we figure out over time. My vision is something like:
>
>  F27: packagers are *able* to create Flatpaks of their application.
>       They must also maintain standard RPMs.

Perfectly fine :) Adds an additional, but optional, way of distribution.
I don't like Flatpak, but as long as I'm not forced and RPM is the
standard packaging, I just ignore it ;)

>  F28: packagers (of graphical applications) are *encouraged* to create
>       Flatpaks of their applications along side standard RPM packaging.
>       They *may* drop the standard RPM packaging if there is good
>       reason to.

So we could end up in a situation where neither Flatpak nor RPM provide
a complete package/application set? Would be bad… and also inconsistent.
Also: What additional work does Flatpak require for me as a packager? I
read something about automated builds, but then we would not need this
discussion and could create both worlds. As I have limited time, I'll
provide my packages in one consistent way, not multiple ways. As I have
both graphical applications and other stuff, that will be RPM for sure.

>  F29: packagers (of graphical applications) must create Flatpaks of
>       their applications if possible. They *may* keep standard RPM
>       packaging.

I hope we will *never* reach that point, if we reach it, I have to move
to another Linux distribution which follows the rules of construction I
prefer. As a packager I know how much many upstreams love bundling (and
not updating bundled libs), IMHO Flatpak (in general) encourages them to
do that (yes I know, they can do also for RPM, but Flatpak makes it
easy). And outdated libraries are a high security risk (heartbleed etc.
;)) and sandboxing can never save you from all possible impacts.
Sandboxing is an *additional* and as said in some other mail
*orthogonal* mechanism to clean packaging. I feel we lose many
advantages over operating systems like Windows if we open that door and
continue that way…

> But this is really highly dependent on how modularity work happens more
> widely in Fedora. "standard RPM packaging" assumes we still have
> a F<N> tag in Koji where everything is built together with common
> coordinated dependencies.
>
> The Change proposal, in any case is really only about enabling this as
> an something that packagers may opt into if they want to.
That said, for the optional availability of flatpak for packagers: I'm
perfectly fine with that, I'll just ignore it for my stuff. But if there
will be proposals which will change Fedora in a way that I think is
wrong, I'll be back to discuss them ;) Also I know from IRC that there
are more packagers thinking the same way.

Greetings,
Christian