Re: GSequencer upstream wants to package for fedora

Florian Weimer wrote:
> But these packaging systems produce source and binary packages at the
> same time.  In contrast, I have yet to encounter a container build
> service which does that.  This has the side effect that GPL compliance
> and general availability of matching source code is rather poor.  As the
> result, free software loses.

Indeed, almost all the containers, app bundles etc. out there are outright
illegal, because they just repackage a random distro's packages without
including the corresponding SRPMs or equivalent. The full corresponding
sources would usually be many times larger than the container, because a lot
of libraries from different source packages are bundled.

And then there are cases like Electron where the official Electron "source"
distribution defaults to using a libchromiumclient blob without the
corresponding source code required by the LGPL license of large parts of
Chromium, and applications then repackage a prebuilt Electron blob
containing the libchromiumclient blob for an extra layer of intransparent
blob bundling. Essentially all the Electron applications out there are
distributed in violation of the LGPL.

        Kevin Kofler