Re: GSequencer upstream wants to package for fedora

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Christian Schaller
<cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That is not 100% correct. You can make a non-sandboxed Flatpak and
> it would work just as well as an RPM in terms of hardware access.
> Enabling sandboxing however would need some thought and development
> for a lot of such applications, but we are slowly but surely working
> on it through things like the PulseAudio and Pinos work that Wim Taymans
> is doing, and through the work that Alex Larsson has been doing with OpenGL.

There's also the fact that the runtimes provided also crash on most of
my computers, but hey, that's just a small thing, right?

Speaking with my Fedora and Mageia hats, there's nothing that stops
ANYONE from making portable RPMs (I've done it fairly easily myself).
Flatpak, AppImage, Snappy, etc. do not provide any material advantages
without some sandboxing. In fact, they just make applications more
bloated for little to no benefit at that point.

IMO, the only reason that we're starting to see this is because we're
increasingly giving up on Free Software (note capital letters). These
systems primarily benefit nonfree/proprietary software developers.

Speaking with my Snappy hat on, the concept of making it possible for
people to make applications that work everywhere and anywhere is a
very nice dream. But it's important to realize that the integration
work has to happen somewhere. Flatpak is moving too slowly in this
regard, and while Snappy has this functionality in spades, it requires
much deeper integration into the distribution than Flatpak does. The
main things keeping snaps from being a first class citizen on Fedora
are the inability to produce snaps based on a Fedora base and Fedora
packages (that's being worked on) and the lack of SELinux integration
(also being worked on).

I've personally been working on these things for the Snappy system,
but the Flatpak guys seem to be doing *nothing* about it. I'm very
disappointed in the progress of the Flatpak system.

To date, it is still not possible to install Flatpaks through Plasma
Discover like it is through GNOME Software. It is not possible to
build Flatpaks from RPMs in such a manner where Fedora-based runtimes
could power software. (Hint: both GNOME and KDE app stores support
Snappy!) There is no evangelism from the people working on Flatpak to
demonstrate the technology and drive any useful interest. The
sandboxing in Flatpak is so restrictive that it's not possible to use
it for a very wide variety of common applications. Even applications
like VLC are not properly functional in Flatpak, whereas they are as a
Snap.

Speaking without any of my hats on, Flatpak and Snap both offer a
different way to distribution various classes of applications. But
we're still at the point where they are not overly useful. And I'm
getting increasingly upset with the Fedora Workstation WG over their
attitude of discouraging people from contributing software to Fedora
as RPMs. The proposals I've seen from them about automatically
removing RPMs in favor of Flatpaks or hiding them so that they are not
obvious or easy to install are horrifyingly bad.

I'm increasingly worried that the Workstation WG has lost sight of our
founding principles as a project, and are forgetting that our goal is
to make the best Free system out there, to show that Free Software is
the best model for producing a high-quality system.

What has happened to Fedora? What has happened to us?