Re: GSequencer upstream wants to package for fedora

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/14/2016 05:55 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> I disagree with this assertion.  Flatpak, snappy, docker containers,
>> etc are not an indication people are giving up on Free Software.  They
>> are a mechanism the focuses on easing a developer's ability to
>> distribute their software without worrying about learning arcane
>> knowledge of each distro's packaging system.
>

> But these packaging systems produce source and binary packages at the same
> time.  In contrast, I have yet to encounter a container build service which
> does that.  This has the side effect that GPL compliance and general
> availability of matching source code is rather poor.  As the result, free
> software loses.

That doesn't mean the technologies inherently exist to promote
non-free software.  It means 1) there are bugs that need to be fixed
to solve the source issue, and 2) people are lazy and are not
providing a clear mapping back to source with today's implementation.
That same issue will continue even after the tools grow source
distribution capabilities, because developers focus on their
applications, not on compliance or writing documentation, etc.

josh