Re: PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 16:41 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > We could request this from bugzilla folks (restrict those fields to
> > > people in fedorabugs? Or should it be more restricted ?)
> >
> > To be useful for this purpose, it's gotta be super-restricted. I'm not
> > sure if that will interfere with existing workflows.
> >
> > Also, I think this only solves 10% of the problem (the "how do we
> > indicate") part. It doesn't solve the workflow and acceptance part.
>
> True, but acceptance can be done in bugzilla too via tracker bugs.
> Workflow is similar either way; people review the issues in a tool.
>
> To be clear, I'm not adamant we use bugzilla.  I simply think it's odd to
> invest in yet another custom tool and service that Fedora infrastructure
> will now have to maintain and run.  How many one off solutions do we need?

For reference, we handled the blocker stuff entirely through Bugzilla
for a while. We wrote blockerbugs for a few reasons. Ones I remember:

1. Since just looking at all bugs that block the 'blocker' tracker
gives you both proposed and accepted blockers, you had to use a saved
search or something to find just proposed blockers or just accepted
blockers; blockerbugs handily groups them for you

2. None of Bugzilla's queries or anything gives you a handy view of
what updates fix what blockers, while blockerbugs does

3. Bugzilla queries are (still) slow as hell (though not quite as bad
as when we wrote blockerbugs). blockerbugs is fast (it has to run slow
Bugzilla queries to sync its data, but it just syncs every half hour,
so the user experience is fast)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey