Re: communications and community [was Re: Lack of response about sponsorship]

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:02:44 -0600, Pete Travis wrote:

> > On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:54:27 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sure the docs team talks about stuff in Rawhide occasionally too;
> >
> > Unlike "devel", the docs list is related to Documentation only, isn't it?
> >
> > Could you imagine turning "devel" into a less general list?
> > Is "devel" the catch-all for anything related to arbitrary
> > "development issues in the Fedora Project"?
> >
> > doc-fol         [no description available]
> > docs    For participants of the Documentation Project
> > docs-commits    For tracking commits to Docs Project owned modules
> > docs-qa         Fedora Docs QA list
> >
> *snip*
>
> This really isn't a fair comparison. Fedora Documentation is a distinct
> product; in some contexts it is an upstream project using
> Fedora/fedorahosted resources. For this discussion, citing, oh, the cobbler
> mailing list would be just as effective.

I guess we will hardly ever read about Fedora Documentation on "devel"
list and only occasionally see related announcements that affect
packagers.

I've mentioned other lists before. Those that overlap are troublesome.
Cross-posting is troublesome, if it results in replies only on one
list. Separate lists that move traffic from somewhere else can be a
problem, too. Suddenly, subscribers of a list, such as devel, no longer
learn about the topics that have moved elsewhere. Unless they subscribe
to the separate list.

Adam says that devel is relevant to "*developers* (or rather, packagers)".
Yet there is the "packaging" list, too. Quote from Oct 16th:
"I don't know whether this belongs to the packaging or devel list,"

Not even devel-announce is used consistently. Some people post version bump
announcements there. If that were done for the entire package collection,
forget about the "LOW TRAFFIC" mentioned in the list description. ;)

I guess the problem is not fixable with old-school mailing-lists.

The thread "Lack of response about sponsorship" could have posted on
"fedora-join" list. Who has been aware of that list anyway?
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-join/
It's linked in some places, but has it been announced on "announce"
or "devel-announce"?