Re: Lack of response about sponsorship

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:31:49 -0600
Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If this really is the consensus of the Fedora community, then I would
> prefer that the guidelines on the wiki be specifically amended to
> require this. IMHO the language in the guidelines is simply too vague
> about this point.

Yeah, we should clarify where things are not clear...

> Of course, this whole mailing list thread is about the lack of
> sponsors' time and resources, and with that in mind, maybe such a
> guideline change would be going in the opposite direction of where
> Fedora needs to be. I don't good answer.

I think this has morphed slowly over time.

Only sponsors can review initial packages from people who are not yet
sponsored.
<time passes>

Packager(who is not a sponsor): Hey, Sponsor, can you help out and
sponsor foo? They would be great to sponsor.
<time passes>

Packager(who is not a sponsor): I see you don't have much time these
days, How about I work with foo and get their package in good shape and
teach them things and you can just come along and check things.
<time passes>

Packager(who is not a sponsor): I'm not a sponsor, but I'll review
everything and set the review to approved hoping some sponsor sees it
and comes along and sponsors the person.

IMHO, it's GREAT if people help initial packagers who aren't sponsored
yet improve their packages and learn. That said, I think it's bad when
they say they go through officical review steps on such a package. It
confuses the new person, makes it drop off the list of packages that
need review, etc.

How about anytime someone (who is not a sponsor) has helped someone not
yet sponsored and thinks their package(s) are ready for official
review/sponsorship, they mail the pool of sponsors asking for someone
to step up and do so? Or we add another state sponsors could query for
this?

kevin