Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:50:05AM -0700, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 07:33 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >Promotion is supposed to benefit Fedora, not the architecture being
> >promoted.
>
> And you think it would not benefit Fedora.

On the contrary, I think a solid ARM port benefits Fedora a great deal.

> Today: ARM builds are queued by koji-shadow some period of time
> after they complete successfully on primary.  If a build fails then
> the koji-shadow admin gets notified.  If it's a real bug it gets
> BZed, we work with the package maintainer, the bug is fixed, and we
> move on.

And if the bug isn't fixed, we move on anyway.

> As primary: ARM builds would be queued at the same time as x86.  If
> a build fails the package maintainer gets notified.  If it's an
> ARM-specific bug the maintainer would get in touch with the ARM
> team. The full details of this change are TBD and should be
> discussed.

And if the bug isn't fixed, we have a problem.

> >I agree that that's the ideal case. If package maintainers are willing
> >to volunteer their time to ensure their packages work on ARM then
> >everything is easier and we all benefit. That doesn't seem to be the
> >case yet.
>
> Oh?

The llvm maintainer hasn't fixed llvmpipe. Nobody working on gcc has
bootstrapped ada.

> >What I'm saying is that making ARM a primary architecture isn't going to
> >automatically make volunteers start caring about ARM, and so there
> >should be evidence that the existing ARM porters can deal with the worst
> >case scenario of supporting an arbitrary set of packages themselves.
>
> Perhaps it's inevitable, but I would like to avoid a reprisal of the
> Richard Dawkins & Wendy Wright debate.  What evidence are you asking
> for?

An ARM repository that is as close as practically possible in features
and bugs to the x86 repository.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx