Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> nnnOn Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ARM_as_Primary
>
> How many F19 packages currently fail to build (or are excluded but
> shouldn't be) on ARM?  How do we stand against the other items of
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Secondary_Architecture_Promotion_Requirements
> ?

I'm particularly curious about the developer resources and release
criteria items.  The proposal calls out one kernel maintainer, which
is great, but doesn't expand on how many others are doing ARM work.
Is the ARM team on the hook to go through all of the existing QA
criteria on ARM platforms and do they have enough resources to do
this?

I have a secondary concern on kernel build times.  It's greatly
improved on the newer hardware, but a primary kernel build takes ~ 1hr
45min.  An ARM build, which doesn't even build the -debug variants,
still takes ~4 to 4.5hrs.  Are other larger packages (gcc, etc)
similarly significantly slower still?  How much delay ARM adds to a
build is certainly up for discussion but it would be good to have
numbers showing the average additional time required per package and
the worst case outliers.

josh