Re: F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/03/2013 01:54 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>
>> While you can do all this with the netinstall ISO + a hosted
>> install tree, this is not as convenient, because hosting or
>> mirroring a single DVD image is much easier than mirroring
>> an entire web install tree.
>

> Surely if you are mass creating vm's you use ks + cobbler and or spacewalk
> to do that instead af ISO file.
>
> JBG

Cobbler, while very powerful,was a resource pig and was very awkward
to configure the last couple of times I tried. I've actually come to
prefer FAI for its flexibility and speed of setup. If I'm going to
invest that much disk space in local mirrors of everything, I may has
well support more operating systems and have a full tool suite.

But it's possible to make much lighter installation setups, especially
for offline deployments, with kickstart files added to a DVD.  It
could be even be more efficient with USB drives, but the USB
installation tools remain awkward and less reliable to configure. And
DVD installation is well supported for virtualization environments,
even where the network configuration is not yet known or easily
accessible for other setup reasons. Tagged VLAN's, for example, are
still not well supported in any Fedora installer I've had a chance to
work with.