Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

On Thu, 22.07.10 03:55, Jon Masters (jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > I was pretty clear in everything you cut off about the whole "You know
> > what people need, they need this" and the whole developers making things
> > for sysadmins because they think sysadmins need it thing.  0pointer.de is
> > Lennart's post.  If this is only being developed and driven by the same
> > people perhaps we should just step back, get it functioning for a while,
> > _then_ lets talk about replacements.  If you guys feel that strongly about
> > it, you'll still feel that way a year from now when the whole system is
> > developed and working right?  Perhaps then it can go into Fedora?
> >
> > This should probably say "systemd for F16"
>
> +1 FWIW. I'm not a huge sysv fanboi either, but I do care about the
> experience of sysadmins and the upstream for other projects, and I would
> like to see some soak time for this before everyone needs to switch. I
> can otherwise just imagine the amount of documentation out there -
> books, online resources, etc. that will all be out of date for Fedora
> (and perhaps other projects later) but not for other distributions.

If everybody waits for the others to take the first step then we'll be
standing at the same place forever.

While Fedora is different things to different people, I thought one
thing was agreed: that we like to be the ones who innovate, not the ones
who just follow.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.