Re: 3rd Party software submission

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Christian Fredrik Schaller <cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
What I meant with my comment was that we want this to be a positive push for free software alternatives,
not a 'your an asshole for using non-free software' because that detracts from the goal of promoting free software.

These goals are not mutually-exclusive. We should be able to provide some education on free software in a prominent and meaningful way, without shaming the user or making it difficult to install the software.

Strawman proposal: I'm imagining a moderately-sized red banner that says something along the lines of "This software does not respect your freedom. <a href="">Learn more...</a>", which would be hard to miss, but also not so large that it gets in the way or slows down the user. Currently the little red Proprietary license tag is easy to ignore and doesn't mean much. Kalev showed me a screenshot showing the existing "Learn more..." link in the software sources dialog, but that's somewhat buried and very easy to ignore.