Re: 3rd Party software submission

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 10:49:06 -0400, Christian Fredrik Schaller wrote:
> It is redundant because you end up asking the same question multiple times.
> Because if we do the disabled part you are first asked to approve 3rd party
> repositories in general, including ones with proprietary software, then you are
> asked again or have to find the setting to actually activate the 3rd party
> repositories. And once you for instance then enabled lets say the Chrome repo
> you have to go into GNOME Software again to actually install Chrome. My take is
> that step 2 is redundant because you are answering the question about if you
> want Chrome once you choose to install Chrome.

> Remember enabling the repos do
> not mean any software gets autoinstalled.

Hrm, OK. I see what you mean. It is asking the user similar questions
and that, from a usability perspective, is not a good thing. Sure. My
concern is of a different nature.

I am concerned that in the current implementation, or in what I see
being discussed (so please correct me if this is inaccurate), I do not
see a stage where we point out to the user that we, as Fedora, would
really really reallllyyyy like them to use Free software, and not
use proprietary software unless absolutely necessary (right?).

Would you have any ideas on how the whole experience can include such a
statement to clearly emphasize our commitment to Free Software?

Like I had said in a reply before, I think this is an excellent
opportunity to make the Free Software philosophy more visible to end
users. :)

--
Thanks,
Regards,