Re: 3rd Party software submission

It is redundant because you end up asking the same question multiple times. Because if we do the disabled part you are first asked to approve 3rd party repositories in general, including ones with proprietary software, then you are asked again or have to find the setting to actually activate the 3rd party repositories. And once you for instance then enabled lets say the Chrome repo you have to go into GNOME Software again to actually install Chrome. My take is that step 2 is redundant because you are answering the question about if you want Chrome once you choose to install Chrome. Remember enabling the repos do not mean any software gets autoinstalled.

Christian

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 12:19:16 +0100, Kalev Lember wrote:
> Good. That would make it all much easier from the users point of view, I
> think.
>
> Kalev
>
> On 03/21/2018 12:10 PM, Christian Fredrik Schaller wrote:
> > I am not sure the whole disabled state makes any sense anymore even in
> > RPM. That was something that was decided we do when the idea was to
> > ship the repos by default, but disabled. Now that the 3rd party repos
> > are installed only once you enable 3rd party software I would say we
> > could drop the whole disabled setup as it is redundant.

I'm not so sure. Why is it redundant? With the third party repositories
set up at the moment, you're saying "These are repositories that you can
use if you want to.  Please review them and enable ones you'd use." So,
there's that decision for the user to make, which gives the user time to
review what these repositories are.

Enabling them by default takes this away from them. I think disabled by
default makes sense, especially in the case of repositories that provide
proprietary software.

--
Thanks,
Regards,