Re: Improving Offline Updates (WAS Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said)

On 11/03/2016 12:31 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> So, good news! This is in fact already possible to do today, as I just tested.
>> The following set of commands does exactly this:
>>
>> ```
>> pkcon refresh force
>> pkcon update --only-download
>> pkcon offline-trigger
>> systemctl isolate system-update.target
>> ```
>>
>> This all runs in the current boot and will trigger a reboot immediately after
>> the update completes. All of this should be easily possible to do for
>> Workstation within GNOME Software if we agree that's easier on the end-user.
>
> Cool. Are the sysfs leak concerns by systemd folks considered minor?
> Is there any advantage to running this in an nspawn container if
> that's a cleaner environment?

Sorry, I think you made some assumptions there that I can't follow. What
advantage would nspawn provide? Would those advantages outweigh the complexity
of dealing with namespacing?

> I asked about this on the ostree list and it looks like they're doing
> this with bubblewrap, although I can't comment on the qualitative
> difference, if any.
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/ostree-list/2016-October/msg00021.html

I'm not sure what bubblewrap actually does. Does it provide an isolated
environment for running %post scripts without root privilege? I'm not sure
that's relevant to this discussion.

>>> There's also kexec: with recent kernels kexec does not work for me anymore
>>> (graphics crash). Nevertheless, kexec is something worth considering too:
>>> the state is reset quite thoroughly, and we avoid the potentially very
>>> slow POST.
>>
>> 2.0
>
> I thought kexec was disabled for this purpose, at least on UEFI Secure
> Boot enabled computers?

My "2.0" there was meant to indicate that I'm not personally willing to
investigate that at this time. I see it as more of a "2.0" feature.