Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 09:06:22AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> We've already decided that updates cannot be done safely without at
> least one reboot, so let's not bother with requests to remove that. We

I think that's missing some nuance. We've decided that it's very hard
to do safely without a reboot, and currently no one is invested in
making it safer or less hard. We've got a lot of different problems to
solve, so it makes sense to focus on the ones that users really care
about. We've made the call that the current reboot situation combined
with "hey, off the books, you can run dnf update and deal with any
possible problems yourself" is good enough.

If we keep hearing from users that it *isn't* good enough, that the
reboot is causing meaningful user pain — or, "No pain, but I don't ever
update my system" — we should listen rather than "not bother".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>