Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 12:47 AM, Alexander Bisogiannis
<alexixor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23/10/16 06:39, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> rpm-ostree does its updates out of band, i.e. they're done on an
>> inactive copy of the root file system, so they could be done in the
>> background. Even still, this requires a reboot to use the updated
>> tree. Granted, it's one less reboot than we have now.
>

> I think what they mean is that the update process itself should not require
> rebooting in to this "upgrade mode".
>
> The current method requires two reboots to complete the proccess.
> One to boot in "update mode" and another to boot into the updated system.

I think this email from Lennart still applies:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/GH5WJZGD3O55IBGAM7IOUB4ZAHCHVUSI/

In particular this phrase, "However, so far we have quite some
concerns about adding this, precisely for the reason that it pretends
to be a reset of everything to the boot-up defaults, but actually
isn't, as a ton of runtime state is retained in /sys and /proc/sys and
other runtime objects."

Are /sys and /proc/sys shared with an nspawn container? I wonder if a
sufficiently clean state can exist in an nspawn container based on the
current Fedora base image - and do the update in that container -
instead of rebooting. I think the user still must be logged out while
this update happens though. But at least it'd mean one reboot instead
of two.

--
Chris Murphy