Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 11:39:05PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> Oh, sorry, I was thinking updates, not upgrades. As you were.
> > Well, this was covered by at least one comment as well, which asked for
> > updates to happen transparently in the background.
> How would it work? It would still yank things out from under the
> running environment possibly making the whole system unstable, or
> sufficiently confusing for the user that they initiate a reboot in the
> middle of the update.

Well, keep in mind that I asked "what do you want?", not necessarily
"what easy things could we do?". The comment I referred to was:

   Background updates – don't prompt me unless it's a breaking change;
   do it over night, lunch, any time I'm not actually using the
   app/library.

For a lot of updates, we could probably do this reasonably well even
without Flatpak. *With* Flatpak, I think the story becomes a lot
easier.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>