Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:47:55AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 10/24/2016 09:21 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > It sounds to me like your single-reboot work is worth continuing. We
> > don't need to support strange edge cases.
> >

> My remaining concern is this statement from Lennart that I haven't had an
> opportunity to understand better:
>
> "However, so far we have quite some concerns about adding this, precisely for
> the reason that it pretends to be a reset of everything to the boot-up defaults,
> but actually isn't, as a ton of runtime state is retained in /sys and /proc/sys
> and other runtime objects."
>
> I don't know what runtime state he's talking about here or whether the risk is
> greater than the advantages to avoiding an extra reboot.

For example, writing stuff to /proc/sys is not entirely idempotent:
depending on the order, you might get slightly different results. And
of course there's no way to reset the state to kernel defaults.
If a sysctl.d file is removed, that setting will not be "undone" during
an upgrade, until after a reboot. In 99% of cases this doesn't matter.

If we skip the reboot *before* the upgrade, that should be fine.
Skipping the reboot *after* the upgrade is probably not worth the uncertainty.

There's also kexec: with recent kernels kexec does not work for me anymore
(graphics crash). Nevertheless, kexec is something worth considering too:
the state is reset quite thoroughly, and we avoid the potentially very
slow POST.

Zbyszek