Re: Consider tuned-gui as an important element for "advanced" users on the Fedora Workstation

On 28 July 2016 at 17:01, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It may be that feature predates LED backlights, I don't know that the
> power savings from a small reduction in brightness is as meaningful as
> it was with CCFL.

LED is more energy efficient (both when used as a TFT-style
"backlight") and even more so when black pixels don't consume any
power, but the panel is still usually the biggest drain of power on an
idle modern laptop, which is perhaps why macOS persists. As a counter
argument, every study I've ever seen people just end up setting the
brightness back to the previous user-chosen value when it's changed by
a large amount automatically. I tried to counter that by making small
policy changes _around_ the user set value when designing the ambient
light algorithm in gnome-settings-daemon.

Richard.