Re: Consider tuned-gui as an important element for "advanced" users on the Fedora Workstation

On 28/07/16 00:13, Chris Murphy wrote:

(the right way to fix this would be to get information on how connected
standby
works on Intel machines, and implement that, not holding my breath though)

The solution should not be H/W dependent.
I have the same laptop since 2012 and I do not have light sensors for
example. Should I not have the option to set this manually?

That's nonsense. You're basically saying leveraging hardware features
is persona non grata, everyone should just accept mediocre power
management, which is precisely what we already have in even the best
case let alone the worst case, compared to smart phones. Of course
this should be better, and of course it should involve the user far
less than it does.

We are comparing smart phones to laptops now?
Why does a DE for desktops and laptops compare it self with a smart phone?
And even then, I have yet to see a smart phone OS without a UI to adjust manually screen brightness, auto lock, auto sleep etc.
Ditto for a "PC" OS, like MacOS or Windows.

What you have done is remove expected and working functionality without offering at least the same functionality and you rationalize your decision by saying that it was the "wrong" thing to do.

When you say, not you but Bastien, that users hated the auto dimming in Gnome2 for example, you are hiding the fact that there was a way for the user to change this behavior.

I don't understand this desire to manually futz with things, except
that it suggests the automatic thing isn't working correctly, in which
case it's a bug that should be fixed. But an option to manually do
things just because, that's not convincing to me at all. There are all
kinds of power managements events that are happening in firmware that
you have no control over, and wouldn't want control over.

I don't understand why functionality was removed before the new functionality was ready. You are arguing for something that is not possible yet in Linux, but you have removed the previous UI nevertheless?

I am sorry but the real Linux desktop, the one that people pay real money for, includes tweakUI, a poweroff button, screen brightness UI etc. You might argue all day about non issues that become issues because of your opinion, but the fact is that there is *no* way that a paying customer would tolerate a system where they could not control the above.

You will say of course that this is fedora not RHEL, but the fact is that Gnome3 as shipped with RHEL has reversed every single one of the above decisions.

So next time, when *a lot* of people complain you should listen, else the paying people will complain and then there will be problems.

Abis.