Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

[ replying to old mail here - catching up from Thanksgiving ]

[ ... lots of accurate case studies elided ... ]

> When people ask me to describe Fedora's niche, I tend to say that we
> make a prototype of something that could be a really great operating
> system a year later. But we never stop and turn it into a really great
> operating system: instead we introduce another dozen shiny things that
> aren't quite finished yet and turn out another prototype. We never build
> a Toyota Corolla, we're perpetually building motor show prototypes -
> something with all sorts of shiny amazing features that isn't really
> intended to work satisfactorily in the real world. We're not interested
> in doing the last 20% of boring work to turn our super-exciting
> prototype into something Joe Normal will drive to work every day: we
> just want to keep building more super-exciting prototypes.
>
> This kind of stuff is the reason more people don't use Fedora. If we
> slowed down our pace of development and improved our documentation and
> our quality standards, we would likely build something that more people
> wanted to use...and we wouldn't necessarily need the three-product
> proposal or the WGs to achieve that. It's something that we could
> theoretically do under that new model, _or_ under our old model. It's
> not really a part of the current proposals.
>
> *but*, I'm not saying that's actually what we should do. I quite like
> building exciting prototypes. Building Corollas probably ain't as much
> fun. Still, there is an obvious corollary; I think it's vitally
> important that in any debate which touches on this question, we bear the
> above in mind. No matter how we re-arrange our deliverables or talk
> about 'target audiences' and the like, as long as we maintain our
> current focus on building lots of shiny new things and landing them as
> soon as we possibly can and releasing often and not sweating the small
> stuff, we are building prototypes, and we're not going to get a mass
> user base. So I think it would be a mistake to make decisions as a part
> of this process based on the idea that we're trying to make Fedora a
> credible operating system for 'regular folks' *or* for 'developers' who
> want a stable, reliable operating system more than they want the latest
> shiny version of absolutely everything, *without* addressing the more
> fundamental stuff I'm talking about above.

I think this is what the three-product WGs are all about, I'm afraid:
Getting away from continuous distraction by the next shiny thing, move
the quality threshold way up, and deliver products instead of
prototypes.