Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 03:28:18PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Gnome design also get pretty strong feedback among the sysadmins I talk to,
> > but I don't know enough to say if it's specific or universal (dislike for
> > the "shield" and wanting to turn it off, for a representative example).
> Why would sysadmins object more strongly to the shield implementation
> than anyone else? Better multiple monitor handling sounds like it would

I don't want to get hung up on any specific example, but as I said, I don't
know, and since I don't know I'm hesitant to extrapolate to the universal.
What I'd like is for us to test this kind of assumption, and, while I agree
we shouldn't discount the general user completely, we should make sure we
*do* test with our key groups, not only random people off of the street. In
cases where the results are the same, cool, we win. In cases where there's a
difference, we need to figure out how to accommodate.

> People who are interested in supporting more technical users and
> contributors should continue to do so, but should avoid compromising the
> accessibility of the OS to users who aren't. So far I haven't seen
> anybody give examples of where satisfying non-technical use cases is
> incompatible with giving more technical users what they want.

I'm in basic agreement, but I also want it to go the other way: the
interaction design should appeal to the technical users we want for Fedora,
and we shouldn't make their experience worse in the name of appealing to an
unspecific everyone. Maybe you are right and no compromise would be
necessary, but let's (continuously) test with some representative samples of
user groups that are important to the distribution as a whole.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>