Re: Anyone know why I can't access my volumes?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 1:03 PM Michael Kjörling <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2019 10:42 -0700, from lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Chris Murphy):
> > A possible better workaround for this problem, is helping the user
> > create a recovery passphrase, and maybe even some desktop environments
> > or installers go with a policy where the user is taken through this by
> > default. That'd be a randomly generated passphrase, limited character
> > set (perhaps ASCII), so that it's unambiguous. There is a bias,
> > predicating it on Latin input. But it's better than data loss! And
> > then display that recovery passphrase for the user to escrow somewhere
> > safe. And then almost any keymapping or keyboard still gets the
> > encoding for this passphrase correct.
> >
> > If an attacker sees more than one keyslot used, and assumes one is a
> > recovery key, and assumes the passphrase is ASCII, haven't they
> > improved their bruteforce attack capability? And that comes full
> > circle back to whether the keymapping and keyboard locale information
> > should be stored somewhere, and checked at passphrase entry time, and
> > the user warned if there's a mismatch.
>
> As you say, it's not _just_ an encoding problem.
>
> There's character encoding, particularly but not exclusively for
> non-US-English characters (0-9, A-Z, some punctuation). (This is the
> mapping from glyphs on the screen to bits and bytes in memory.)
>
> There's keyboard layout. (This is the mapping from physical key to
> glyphs on the screen.)
>
> Particularly on laptops, there's also the issue that some have an
> integrated numeric keypad _overlaid on the alphanumeric portion of the
> keyboard_, which can definitely trip you up.
>
> If you're unlucky, there's a flaky key switch which causes a key
> stroke to not register properly.
>
> And probably one or two things I'm forgetting at the moment.
>
> For a recovery passphrase in particular, I'd suggest going with the
> restricted character set that Yubikeys use (termed "modhex"), as that
> is specifically selected to work across as wide a range of keyboard
> layouts as possible. Wikipedia gives that character set as
> [cbdefghijklnrtuv] (16 characters, mapping to hexadecimal digits).

Good suggestion.

> Brute force attacks on the passphrases are only feasible if the
> passphrase is short and/or otherwise poorly selected. A recovery
> passphrase can be long, random, and use a very high iteration count if
> so desired; you get a 2^256 work factor (given what we know today,
> more than enough for anyone who doesn't plan to outlast the heat death
> of the universe) with just 64 modhex characters, even if the attacker
> knows how the passphrase was generated, as long as it's properly
> _random_. That's _plenty_ short enough to write down by hand on a
> piece of paper. If you're paranoid, add to that a few seconds' worth
> of iteration count, and attacking that passphrase is in no way easier,
> and quite likely harder, than attacking the master key directly.

Understood. As long as the recovery passphrase is not significantly
more crackable than a reasonably sophisticated user's passphrase,
they're not *worse* off with a recovery passphrase being set for them.
And a sophisticated user could choose to use luksKillSlot to remove
it.

--
Chris Murphy