Re: Anyone know why I can't access my volumes?

> Have you tried intentionally switching z and y or whatever your keyboard
> layout differences are to US keyboard, i.e. using a mangled password
> instead of the correct one?

I tried tried all possible combinations between US and my German layout with a script.

> Then again, if unlocking with a key file (if that used to work) fails,
> the issues are obviously bigger. If you have the passphrase written down
> somewhere, checking again that you're remembering it correctly is a
> suggestion of last resort.

I have it written down, the passphrase is 100% correct. (The script was superfluous
but I didn't know what else to do.)

> What looks a bit inconsistent in your case is one used keyslot for the
> root volume and two used keyslots for the home volume.

Yes. Inside root is a keyfile to automatically unlock home but home also has a key
with the same passphrase as root. Not entirely sure why I set it up that way.

> Can you try booting with the old installed kernel and initrd? Usually those are
kept for some time after an upgrade.

None of the fallback options work:

mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

> Another thing I had to debug recently for a colleague was a failing
> flash medium. There were no read errors, but single bits of the data had
> flipped. A unreported bit flip affecting the keyslots would be
> catastrophic AFAICS. That said, bitflips affecting only the keyslots and
> nothing else would be a strange beast unless this is a really crappy
> SSD. How often do you reboot during normal operation?

I probably update and reboot every 2-6 weeks. This is a year old Dell XPS 9370
with a Toshiba SSD. Its SMART outpus looks OK to me.

I posted luksDump and hexdump of the first sectors in my original mail. Wouldn't
you see such corruption there, or with chk_luks_keyslots?