Re: Anyone know why I can't access my volumes?

On Monday, October 21, 2019 7:50 AM, Michael Kjörling <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That, to me, immediately makes the update suspect. Do you remember
> what was updated? The kernel? Keyboard utilities or data? Any
> LUKS-related packages? Was a new initramfs generated? Anything else
> that might possibly be relevant for the early boot process?

Unfortunately I ran the updates while doing other things. Done that dozens of times without checking... I asume that a new kernel and initramfs were installed just because it's been a while since my last update.

> Are you able to download bootable live/rescue media and boot from
> that, then try to open the LUKS container from within that
> environment? That should allow you to experiment more, since you will
> have a fuller environment than the early boot environment. If it works
> from within a live environment, then at least you know that it's
> something about your installed system, not the data on disk as such.

I tried booting from a year old Arch Linux USB, and the most recent one, and I can't unlock the volumes with the correct passphrase (please see my original mail). I looked everywhere and don't understand *why* it doesn't work.

> I strongly recommend that you make at least a header backup, if you
> haven't already, just in case something goes further wrong.

I did now, unfortunately I didn't do this before.