Re: Anyone know why I can't access my volumes?

On 21.10.19 16:56, Philipp Rösch wrote:
>> Maybe a keyboard layout issue, like z and y being switched?
> Quadruple checked this and tried a keyfile, even checked its hexdump -C and tried with and without a newline.

Have you tried intentionally switching z and y or whatever your keyboard
layout differences are to US keyboard, i.e. using a mangled password
instead of the correct one? I once used a distro (don't remember which)
where entering the key during bootup used a different keyboard layout
from what the booted system had by default. Unlocking it with the
correct passphrase from a booted system obviously didn't work, and it
took me some digging to figure out the reason.

Then again, if unlocking with a key file (if that used to work) fails,
the issues are obviously bigger. If you have the passphrase written down
somewhere, checking again that you're remembering it correctly is a
suggestion of last resort.

What looks a bit inconsistent in your case is one used keyslot for the
root volume and two used keyslots for the home volume.

Can you try booting with the old installed kernel and initrd? Usually
those are kept for some time after an upgrade.

Another thing I had to debug recently for a colleague was a failing
flash medium. There were no read errors, but single bits of the data had
flipped. A unreported bit flip affecting the keyslots would be
catastrophic AFAICS. That said, bitflips affecting only the keyslots and
nothing else would be a strange beast unless this is a really crappy
SSD. How often do you reboot during normal operation?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel