Re: Anyone know why I can't access my volumes?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 9:44 AM Philipp Rösch <philipp@xxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry for the late late reply.
>
> It was indeed the wrong keyboard layout. Imagine that...
>
> I was about to give up when I noticed different German layout variations on my live disk. One of those worked. Surprise.

Interesting. If you have time to write up a brief summary with one or
two screenshots demonstrating the confusion: in particular I'd like to
see how the UI presents these two different layouts, how non-obvious
it is, which one works and which one doesn't work. That would be
great.

I'm looking for clear examples of how users are betrayed by the user
interface. Obviously if you had not persisted, and had resigned to
data loss instead, it shifts the penalty of inadequate design onto the
user. And that's inappropriate.

> My case seemed strange because everything looked ok and there were no errors anywhere, except that the volumes wouldn't unlock.

Yea, the likely cause for this is there may be no way of
distinguishing between wrong passphrase and wrong encoding. I doubt
the LUKS2 header contains any kind of hint as to what encodings were
used when setting the passphrase. I'm curious if security experts
could assess to what degree that information makes it easier to brute
force attack a passphrase?

Super simplistically, you have multiple layers of encoding between
you+yourpassphrase, and the actual representation of that passphrase
stored on disk. If any of those encodings change, it's functionally no
different than entering the wrong passphrase. Same with all the other
transforms done on your passphrase to make it stronger: salt,
iterations, key derivation function. If those aren't correct every
time, functionally it's the same as wrong passphrase entry. It's a
binary outcome.

A possible better workaround for this problem, is helping the user
create a recovery passphrase, and maybe even some desktop environments
or installers go with a policy where the user is taken through this by
default. That'd be a randomly generated passphrase, limited character
set (perhaps ASCII), so that it's unambiguous. There is a bias,
predicating it on Latin input. But it's better than data loss! And
then display that recovery passphrase for the user to escrow somewhere
safe. And then almost any keymapping or keyboard still gets the
encoding for this passphrase correct.

If an attacker sees more than one keyslot used, and assumes one is a
recovery key, and assumes the passphrase is ASCII, haven't they
improved their bruteforce attack capability? And that comes full
circle back to whether the keymapping and keyboard locale information
should be stored somewhere, and checked at passphrase entry time, and
the user warned if there's a mismatch.

--
Chris Murphy