Re: cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda7 not found

Il Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:21:51 +0300, Moji ha scritto:

Thank you Moji, you described more or less all the step I tried in these
days (just never known about the crypt_root parameter) :-)

I solved the issue, there was a problem into the initrd diskimage.
in a file inside it, cryptsetup itself (IIRC) there is a reference to
sda7 (/) and sda6 (swap). I changed them to sdb and recompressed the
initrd diskimage.

So now I would like to try to put something "universal" like UUID into
it, but after a fast google session and a search into the man page, it
seems cryptsetup cannot understand them.

I'll look better in the next week.

> davide,
>
> If grub is booting then this should be an easy fix.
>
> Grub passes the variable crypt_root= to the initial boot process. That
> seems to be set to where your old root partition lived, but not where it
> is now.

in my grub.cfg there is only root= parameter, there is no crypt_root and
I didnt find any reference to it.

> If all you have is a USB drive and a HDD then your usb is probably being
> mapped to sdb by the kernel. Since you said your partitions are the
> same, and your kernel is looking for the device in sda7 and failing, you
> should try looking to sdb7.
>

> I hope I understood your question and this helps,

yes you did, thank you.