Re: Re: cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda7 not found

I did not follow the whole thread, specifically which distribution you are
using.

Many distributions using initrd (or initramfs for that matter) build upon
busybox. Busybox has a blkid and findfs applet which should be able to
find the device inode by UUID (even for luks devices). Many distributions
have a predone script as part of their initrd which does all that already
- Maybe all it takes is looking into the provided initrd (or the
distribution documentation) to find out how the initrd handles the
parameters and if it handles UUIDs already.
Many distributions can take a UUID or LABEL for the root filesystem, if
they cannot handle the detection of the luks device in a similiar way, you
might be able to peek at the code for the rootfs and pretty much copy it.
As I said before: bbox's findfs works for luks, i.e.: findfs UUID="luksUUID"
returns something like /dev/<actual blockdevice> which in turn can be
passed to mount. Passing a blockdevice to findfs returns the blockdevice
itself, so all it takes is replacing the variable for the blockdevice
(your usb device) by a findfs call and you'll have the opprotunity to use
a blockdevice or UUID identifier as you please any time later.

Regards

-Sven

P.S.: If your distribution does not use busybox in initrd, you can still
iterate over /proc/partitions and use luksUUID and/or isluks to get this
to work.