Re: Re: cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda7 not found

davide,

If grub is booting then this should be an easy fix.

Grub passes the variable crypt_root= to the initial boot process. That seems to be set to where your old root partition lived, but not where it is now.

If all you have is a USB drive and a HDD then your usb is probably being mapped to sdb by the kernel. Since you said your partitions are the same, and your kernel is looking for the device in sda7 and failing, you should try looking to sdb7.

Try changing the crypt_root variable in your kernel line of grub.conf/menu.lst to crypt_root=/dev/sdb7. You can do this in grub by pressing 'e', changing the variable, and then booting with the new settings pressing 'b'.(those changes are not permanent, so if you modify those settings in grub you will need to go in and change your grub.conf/menu.lst later)

If that works then remember that your fstab for your old system will have to be changed as well, so you will need to go in and adjust that if the boot process fails further down.

If that still does not work, or you are unsure of the mapping, you can drop out of the initial boot process by typing "shell" and use the ls command to see what devices were created by your kernel in your /dev folder.

If only sda and it's partitions are created then the initramfs does not contain the proper drivers needed to detect your usb drive. In that case you would need to rebuild the kernel so that the modules needed for usb detecting are included.

If you are still having problems, try posting the lines in your grub.conf/menu.lst.

I hope I understood your question and this helps,

-MJ

Post your /boot/grub/grub.conf, or at least the lines dealing with the kernel you are booting into.On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:15:19 +0200