Re: cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda7 not found

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 05:30:40PM +0200, davide wrote:
> Hi.
> I just replaced my hard disk in my laptop. I would like to boot from the
> old one that now lives in a usb case. This disk, now in usb, is encrypted
> with dm-crypt (it is my formely system).

Plain dm-crypt or LUKS?

> When I try to boot from it I get as error:
> cryptsetup: Source device /dev/sda7 not found.

If it is plain dm-crypt, then your setup script gives it the
wrong device. dm-crypt has no way of knowing which device
an encrypted partition is on, and it doe not care as it is told
from the outside. I am not sure about LUKS, but I think it is
device-agnostic as well.

> I tought could be a grub problem, but grub can load and find (hd0,3)
> where I've my boot partition. So I suppose the disk is still seen as sda,
> and the partition numbers are the very same as when the disk lived in my
> pc.
> any idea?

The device is likely not /dev/sda anymore. If you have any other
USB/SATA device, that may come first. Note that being the first
BIOS device does not ensure being numbered sda by the kernel. It
may be possible to force the USB device to be sda with a kernel
option.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx