Re: Where DM-Crypt is loaded in the Kernel

Hi Matt,

Well, yes and no, BBox is a mulitcall binary with a huge heapload of tools, including a shell, with ash flavor or bash (faiak), anyway, that'S not really important. cryptsetup does not USE and file in /etc, I'd rather think the file is used for an appropriate init script and obviously mkinitramfs. Either mkinitramfs is buggy, or is has some sort of module scheme, with a module which ist supplied by some package along cryptsetup and which fails. Unfortunately I got no Ubuntu at hand, to dig into this right now - But it wouldn't be the first bug in mkinitramfs and the surrounding 'framework'. If you have the necessary experience, you could dig into the script and see at what point crypttab is treated and in what way exactly.

Regards

-Sven

Matt Rosales schrieb:
OK, well attempt #1 = fail.

From busybox (which apparently is ash... I get your comment now Mathieu) I
tried first to create a /etc/crypttab file with the correct info in it, but
of course this doesn't stay after a reboot, now does it... ha.

So I got the rescue up and running; all of the appropriate modules are in
there: aes, dm-crypt and dm-mod, put the data in the crypttab file, and
tried to use mkinitramfs -o <initrd-filename> but got a cryptsetup error:
WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab

This is odd to me since there is only one line in it:
MtOlympus  /dev/sda4  none  luks

This may be a bug in cryptsetup, as I've been reading in various other
posts, so I'm going to see if I can update the package through the rescue
disk...

Thanks for your help guys!

Matt