Where DM-Crypt is loaded in the Kernel

Hi All,

I am trying to do some debugging on my system Re: dm-crypt at boot time. (IE
the kernel can't find my device-mapper root partition for finishing the
boot). What I am unclear is at what point dm-crypt is actually loaded by the
kernel, or by intrid. I haven't been able to find a run down of when it is
loaded, or what its role is during boot. Would someone please point me to
the resources I need to figure this out? Thanks all!

Cheers,
Matt