Re: Where DM-Crypt is loaded in the Kernel

to, 2009-01-08 kello 14:57 +0100, Sven Eschenberg kirjoitti:
> In any case, it might be helpfull to boot a rescue system and inspect
> the initrd that is currently used or rebuild the initrds (in the hope
> the needed modules will be packed into the initrd) ...

I found that the Ubuntu alternate installer basically forgets to create
an /etc/crypttab and the initrd would like that as well to boot
properly.

You can set up dm_crypt manually from the initrd shell (it drops to it I
believe after a timeout at least if it can't find the root) and boot
your system that way to fix it.

My crypttab looks simply like this:
md1_crypt /dev/md1 none luks

Then mkinitramfs or reinstall the kernel package.

Oh yeah, except 8.10 at least had a step more of an issue (which 8.04
didn't suffer from) since they seem to create a dm "partition" inside
the dm_crypt partition. I'm not positive that that's a problem if this
one is fixed though, but I didn't bother to find out how to do that. See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/293754

HTH, anyway. I installed 8.04, fixed crypttab, and upgraded then while
waiting for an installer fix...

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Helsinki, Department of Computer Science