[Centos] mimedefang & milter-greylist packages

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:05, Henk van Lingen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 09:36:58AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>   > >
>   > >   I didn't follow this thread but I do think postfix supports filtering
>   > >   at the time you want. You can do body/headers checks at smtp time and
>   > >   you can hook in stuff like virusscanners both after and before queueing.
>   >
>   > To be useful, it needs to be done before the SMTP accept is done -
>   > that is, concurrent with the conversation, and preferable running
>   > under a different uid than anything else.
>
>   Yes, and I state you can do that with postfix: (what is 'useful'?)

Useful is being able to run MimeDefang.  It splits out attachments and
runs your choice of spam and virus tests with a small piece of perl
code controlling the actions.   It is a long-running program that
sendmail uses through the milter interface and it in turn can use
daemon-mode scanners like clamd through a socket interface without
starting new processes.

>   http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html
>   Whether it is wise is another thing. I do virusscanning after smtp-accept,
>   to prevent load surprises.

I don't see anything in there about being able to chat over a socket
with concurrently running scanning programs.  If you have to start and
initialize your scanners for every message with a pipe-to-program
interface it is not surprising that you have load problems.

>  As long as you don't join those idiots that
>   bounce virus errors...

I silently drop known viruses since virtually all of them for the last
few years have forged the sending address, but I reject spam that
scores very high values with a 5xx and a moderately polite message
to allow the sender to reword and resend if the scanner happens to
be wrong.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx