[Centos] mimedefang & milter-greylist packages

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:23:15AM -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
  > Henk van Lingen wrote:
  > >  Whether it is wise is another thing. I do virusscanning after
  > >  smtp-accept,
  > >  to prevent load surprises. As long as you don't join those idiots that
  > >  bounce virus errors...

  I didn't intend a MTA-war or whatever, just had to correct some fud
  about postfix :-) Having said that,

  > What do you exactly mean by "bouncing virus errors":
  >   - accepting virus, and than generating bounce (with virus included)?
  >   - accepting virus, and than generating bounce (no virus included)?
  >   - generating 5xx error after DATA and dot?
  >   - not accepting notifications from AV about detected viruses?
  >   - something else?

  I meant sending stuff to fake senders. Which however applies more
  to spamstuff, but offcourse virusses are also used for spamming today.
  Anyway: I agree that you can 5xx a virus after the single dot. But not
  at any time later. Personnaly, i don't do it because off said performance
  risks for larger sites. So i drop them silently, after all false positives
  are not a serious issue with virusscanning (ClamAV in my case)

  > IMO, the cleanest way to deal with viruses is generating 5xx after 'dot
  > on the line by itself' on SMTP level.  You tell the other side you are
  > not accepting the email.  You do not generate bounce (the other side
  > might).  Most viruses use their own SMTP engine, so there's no bounce
  > generated when delivery fails.

  Fine with me.

  > If there is a bounce generated by somebody in the middle, the virus had
  > to get faked address from somewhere (infected user's addressbook in
  > 99.999% cases).  So there will be a virus flying to faked sender anyhow.
  >  You are not protecting anybody from infection by preventing bounce
  > generation.  Moreover, faked sender is likely to know who real sender
  > was (he was in his addressbook, to start with), and upon seeing the
  > bounce can warn him that he is infected.  Or he can forward the bounce
  > to ISP's abuse address, and they'll do the right thing.

  Maybe faked senders mostly don't understand a bit of bounce messages.

  > I don't believe in "let's hide the problem" phylosophy.  Hopefully, that
  > doesn't put me in your "idiots" category ;-)

  No. But "let's make the problem bigger" also doesn't help. I just reject
  RBL etc. stuff, I tag spam as such and I drop virusses. Do what you like,
  as long as you don't send stuff back to people who didn't send something
  in the first place.

  Cheers,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems & Network Administrator              (o-      -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University.                /\        |