Re: Logging issue

On 04/18/2021 12:14 PM, Richard wrote:
>> Date: Saturday, April 17, 2021 20:14:02 -0400
>> From: H <agents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> My ultimate goal is to be able to run different php apps each
>> potentially requiring its unique php version using php-fpm. I would
>> also like so separate access and error logs by app, ie
>> app1-access.log, app2-access.log etc.
>
>> - To use unique php versions would require separating the apps into
>> individual VirtualHosts directives. Each VirtualHost directive can
>> then call its unique php-fpm handler.
>>
>> - I now understand this cannot be done using just an IP address in
>> the VirtualHost directive followed by app1, app2 etc. A domain name
>> must be used.
>
>> Therefore, it seems I need to pivot and use a common domain name
>> instead of IP address:
>
> Your site-level logging issue and likely also your problem getting
> the different versions of php to be invoked were probably both due to
> your mal-configuration of the ServerName on the VirtualHost. When
> things aren't configured correctly the first VirtualHost instance
> will be used.
>
> This is not required:
>
>   > use a common domain name
>
> I.e., when using the name-based approach the host names used for the
> ServerName directive don't have to be subdomains under a single
> domainname. They can be any (resolvable) FQDN that points to your
> IPnumber.

Yes, you are correct and that's why I put the php-fpm issues aside since I could not get logging to work correctly. The plan is to understand and solve the latter before returning to the former.

You are also correct about the domain name and I was sloppy in my writing. I meant that in my situation it should suffice to have only one domain name and then access the different apps through app1.domain1.com, app2.domain1.com etc. I did not intend to mean that there is a restriction on having only one single domain name.

I have pointed one of my domain names to that server and am waiting for it to propagate down.

I also understand that I should be able to use curl to check /response header/ from app1.domain1.com, app2.domain1.com so I can make sure that the responses get matched to the correct VirtualHost directives etc. This would be "curl -I app1.domain1.com" and run either on the server itself or on an external computer?