Re: First draft of application to Sovereign Tech Fund

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024, at 9:56 AM, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> For all contributions, they have to be checked, commented and later
> committed by the few busy people with commit rights.

Because of this ...

> We need a list of "todo projects", similar to what is available for
> projects, who apply for Google Summer of Code.

... and because neither Automake nor Autoconf currently has a list of
"good first bugs/projects to work on", and also because both are
abnormally difficult to write good patches for, I'd suggest that the
most useful way for a new contributor to help at this time is to analyze
the backlog of bug reports.  Classify them as recent regressions,
longstanding bugs, or desirable new features.  Estimate the importance
and urgency of fixing each.  Identify affected projects and/or systems.
Construct minimized test cases.  Identify root causes.  Try to estimate
how difficult it would be to write a patch for each ... but don't actually
write the patches, not at first, not until you've spent a couple months
on understanding the bugs.

zw