Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 02/18/2013 10:49 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 02/18/2013 07:32 PM, jonc wrote:
Your tone seems to suggest you think developers owe something to users
("very, VERY justified criticism").  I don't think they do, and I don't
think developers have any more reason to pay attention to anecdotes from
users than users have a reason to pay attention to anecdotes from
developers.

How about when they replace a program that works fine (anaconda) with a new version that doesn't do as much and/or is much harder for most people to use. Do you find that type of criticism justified?
I think saying you don't like an interface design is legitimate. I think projecting that on all other users is not legitimate.

The old Anaconda is easy only because we all used it so much. It's little more than a wrapper around parted. So, if you don't already know how to partition a system, it really isn't that easy. No installer that exposes manual partitioning is, or can be.

The Anaconda developers have made a case that the old code, which dated back to single-digit Red Hat days, was too old, too buggy, and too creaky to carry forward. While they were at it, they changed the GUI. (They didn't have to do that, so the new GUI is fair game.) We either accept them at their word or conjure up some crazy conspiratorial view of Fedora people deliberately spending the better part of a year just trying to annoy their users.

That illustrates my basic point in this discussion: Anaconda's developers made a *developer's* decision. As long as software works for them, users don't care if it works for anyone else, or if it is bug-ridden and a time-consuming pain to maintain. But, it's irrational for users to expect developers to continue to pour resources into propping up that software if they want to replace it with something that's better from their point of view. Users and developers have different objectives.

Besides, the old version usually wouldn't let me back up to change/fix something. :-)